What is ‘Life Cycle Assessment’ ?
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is the most comprehensive method for assessing the overall environmental impact of products, processes or services through all life cycle stages - from raw material extraction through to production, distribution, use, waste management and final disposal.
The use of LCA encourages preventative and proactive environmental management rather than reactive end-of-pipe approaches. It acknowledges that all phases of A product’s life has an impact on the environment and these impacts can be quantified and compared.
“Cradle to Grave” Life Cycle Assessment: A full LCA can provide a detailed analysis of your product or service. This includes:
- An embedded measurement process providing high quality input data
- A hotspot analysis identifying key areas of your operation that generate environmental impacts
- A sensitivity and uncertainty analysis providing an understanding of the influence of variability on your results
- An assessment of next step options to prioritise and reduce your ecological footprint
What are advantages of ‘Life Cycle Assessment”?
- Identifies and reduces a product's potential environmental impact. LCA help in identifying, compiling and evaluating the potential inputs and outputs and the corresponding environmental impacts of the product throughout its life cycle.
- Lower costs by reducing your energy and raw material consumption
- Build consumer confidence in the quality and safety of your products
- Gain a tool for process and product optimization
- Set yourself apart from the competition with an independent third party assessment
- LCA examine energy and resource consumption, emissions to air and water, incidental waste, toxicity and risk potential. Increase consumer confidence and reduce carbon footprint etc.
Drives for LCA
- Increase efficiency and productivity
- Reduce operation costs
- Support marketing claims
- Product improvement and benchmarking
- Aid corporate image and stakeholder
- Demonstrate compliance with existing
Approach To Evaluation:
We conduct product LCA verification according to the DIN EN ISO 14040 and 14044 standards. The assessment comprises four phases:
- Goal and Scope : Life Cycle Assessment report verification and certification of product by considering ISO 14040 (Environmental management- Life Cycle Assessment- Principles and framework)
- Life Cycle Inventory Analysis (LCI): For LCI, we verify and analyses a register of all input and output data with help of traceable, appropriate correct and plausible calculations protocols
- Life Cycle Impact Assessment (LCIA): In the impact assessment stage, additional information is drawn from the outcomes of applicable impact categories which are based on the system assessed and the technologies used in terms of the key local, regional, and global categories
- Evaluation: LCIA procedures, assumptions and other operations within each element, recommendation for users and target groups will be made transparent for critical review and reporting. Based on detailed study, we certify the study by identifying the methodology used and the resulting data. Verification assessment will be carried according to the DIN EN ISO 14040 or 14044 standards
- Acceptance of the proposal with agreed methodology
- Submission of data as requested after signing the contract
- Evaluation of documentation by TUVI & release of desk review and onsite assessment report with gap analysis
- Submission of final documentation along with corrections / additional clarifications as applicable
- Final Evaluation documentation, Critical Review and recommendation to Final Approver of TUVI
- Award of Certification by TUVI