What is Zero Waste To Landfill ?
TUV India Private Limited proposed the methodology to evaluate the efforts taken by the organizations towards meeting the objective of the "Zero Waste to Landfill". The methodology is based on TRUE(Total Resource Use and Efficiency) Zero Waste rating system and certification. The U.S. Zero Waste Business Council created the certification in 2013 as the first third-party zero waste rating system for facilities that meets the zero waste definition of the Zero Waste International Alliance. Sustainable business practices recognize that there is an obvious link between the improved use of resources and outlay savings.
'Zero Landfill' is the avoidance of disposal of waste to landfills. The avoidance of waste to the landfills can be achieved by :
- Reduction of waste generation
- Elimination of wastes
- Findings useful application of wastes in the process (reuse)
- Organization wastes can be a useful resource for other organization
- Recovering energy by anaerobic digestion
- Composting of bio-degradable material etc.
"Zero waste is a goal that is ethical, economical, efficient and visionary, to guide people in changing their lifestyles and practices to emulate sustainable natural cycles, where all discarded materials are designed to become resources for others to use. Zero waste means designing and managing products and processes to systematically avoid and eliminate the volume and toxicity of waste and materials, conserve and recover all resources, and not burn or bury them. Implementing zero waste will eliminate all discharges to land, water or air that are a threat to planetary, human, animal or plant health."
What are the advantages of Zero Landfill ?
- Waste reduction
- Material efficiency
- Green House Reduction
- Identification and improvements of processes or divisions
- Reduction in the adverse environmental impacts
- Meeting environmental goals
- Improved Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental performance additional to legal norms
- Institute a leader in the peer community
- Certified by TUV India's standard
Approach To Evaluation:
TUV India has developed a methodology for the evaluation of waste reduction efforts. The methodology is also dynamic in nature as it establishes baseline waste generation, enumerates waste diversion rates and establishes the benchmark for continual improvement of diversion rate.
"TRUE" Credit criteria will be applied for awarding the certification level.
What qualifies as a diversion ?
- Findings useful application of wastes in the process (re-using)
- Organization wastes can be a useful resource
- for other organization (Supply to other organization)
- Recycling of wastes
What is evaluated ?
- Mass of product produced
- Movement of the waste material
- Process flow diagram with mass balance
- Waste elimination methods
- Waste reduction methods
- Waste diversion methods
- Associated records of the movement of waste
- Credits achieved under each category defined by "TRUE"
Credit Criteria of TRUE:
- Certification Levels
- Certified: 31-37 points
- Silver: 38-45 points
- Gold:56-63 points
- Platinum: 64-81 points
Overview of all categories & points :
|Reuse||7||Zero Waste Analysis||5|
|Compost (PreEarth)||7||Upstream Management||4|
|Recycle||3||Hazardous Waste Prevention||5|
|Zero Waste Reporting||4||Closed Loop System||4|
|Diversion (min 90%)||5||Innovation||3|
|Zero Waste Purchasing||9||Total Points||81|
- Acceptance of the proposal with the agreed methodology
- Submission of data as requested after signing the contract
- Evaluation of documentation by TUV India & release of desk review and onsite assessment report with gap analysis
- Submission of final documentation along with corrections / additional clarifications as applicable
- Final Evaluation documentation and recommendation to Final Approver of TUV India
- Award of Certification by TUV India
Why TUV India ?
- Established and reliable partner for inspection, certification, and verification of "Zero Waste to Landfill'.
- Comprehensive knowledge
- Conducted extensive audits under similar portfolios like energy labeling, sustainability assurance, supply chain audits, green product certification, environmental compliance audit, etc.