In today’s world packaging is not only used to wrap the product but it plays a vital role in product-differentiation and gives a positive impact of the product to consumers. Quality, Safety and Performance are the most essential aspects of packaging products. Likewise, it is primarily essential that the packaged food is safe for consumption-with packaging constituents not migrating into the food. For this purpose various countries have laid down regulations for the food contact materials. . TUV India undertakes the testing as per the various National & International Regulations.
In European Union, the COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 10/2011 of 14 January 2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food, supersedes the previous Directive 2002/72/EC.
This new Regulation 10/2011 is a specific measure within the meaning of article 5 of Framework Regulation 1935/2004 fixes:
Materials and articles, including active and intelligent materials and articles, shall be manufactured in compliance with good manufacturing practice so that, under normal or foreseeable conditions of use, they do not transfer their constituents to food in quantities which could:
- Endanger human health; or
- Bring about an unacceptable change in the composition of the food; or
- Bring about a deterioration in the organoleptic characteristics thereof.
The new Regulation 10/2011 shall apply to:
- Materials and articles and parts thereof consisting exclusively of plastics;
- Plastic multi-layer materials and articles held together by adhesives or by other means;
- Materials and articles referred to in points a) or b) that are printed and/or covered by a coating;
- Plastic layers or plastic coatings, forming gaskets in caps and closures, that together with those caps and closures compose a set of two or more layers of different types of materials;
- Plastic layers in multi-material multi-layer materials and articles.
We offer global migration & specific migration testing and regulatory expertise for food contact materials such as plastic packaging, kitchen utensils, households, food processing equipment and materials and substances, intended for food contact applications and testing for groups of materials and articles (listed below) which is covered by specific measures of Framework Regulations 1935/2004.
TUV India performs tests for plastic in food packaging and food contact materials on overall migration and specific migration of monomers, additives, and other trace residual substances like Metals, Phthalates, PFOS, PFOA, BPA, BADGE.
Our proficient personnel with their extensive knowledge on international and national food contact regulations, including the European Framework Regulation and related directives and its amendments and guidelines, FDA standards and regulations, guidelines on national level and for various countries like Australia, Canada, Japan, China, and Gulf Countries etc. Similarly, our workforce offers expertise in both interpreting the appropriate legislation and providing migration test data in accordance with these below mentioned Tests & standards.