Forests, Wood Products, Printing & Paper
With “Chain of Custody” (COC) certification according to FSC® you can identify and draw attention to wood, wood products, paper and printed materials whose raw materials originate from responsible forest management.
Ever more consumers are demanding resource-friendly wood products and ethically-acceptable forest management and further processing of wood. The non-state, non-profit Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) has formulated criteria for this: the organisation focuses on environmentally-friendly, socially-compatible and economically-feasible exploitation of forests. TÜV NORD CERT certifies wood-processing businesses according to the FSC® guidelines, helping these companies to document their commitment to the environment and to responsible behaviour. At the same time, wood can be clearly identified at all times in all phases of processing and trade.
Why is certified wood important?
Deforestation is the keyword: deforestation is caused by wood exploitation, fires and livestock farming. As a consequence deforestation has a major impact on the loss of biodiversity and the climate change.
Below you can find reasons why certified wood is important:
- Environmenal advantages
Sustainable forest management (SFM) eliminates the hazardous risks of fires, counteracts the loss of biodiversity and deforestaion, saves natural resources such as water and mitigates the climate change.
- Economic benefits
A FSC® or PEFC certification improves an organisations productivity by controlling the exploitation of (endangered) forests.
- Source of life
Cork, resins, firewood and pastures are not only by-products from forests rather they are the source of life for many people as it creates jobs.
- Carbon advantages
Trees absorb tons of CO₂.
FSC® or PEFC
- FSC® is a global certification system
- FSC® is a third party certification
- Level of commitment
- Sustainable forest management (SFM), Chain of Custody (CoC), project certification and controlled wood
- enables to purchase wood from sustainable forests
- FSC® has been created to forestall the use of illegal timber
- FSC® has mainly been created to promote responsible forest management (better than "simply legal")
- FSC® focuses on 3 pillars (environmental, economic and social aspects)
- FSC® covers 210 million hectares in 90 countries
- > 42,000 certificates in 117 countries
- "Top Down"approach
- FSC® is a global standard that ensures sustainable forestry in accordance to certain standards
- FSC® specifies 10 rules of responsible forest management - made for a forest manager/owner
- PEFC is a global certification system
- PEFC is a third party certification: they work together with certification bodies such as TÜV Nord Cert.
- Level of commitment
- Sustainable forest management (SFM), Chain of Custody (CoC), project certification
- PEFC has been created to facilitate certification forestry especially for small scale land owners
- PEFC covers 325 million hectares of forest
- 20,000 Chain of Custody certificates fall under the scope of PEFC
- "Bottom up" approach
- PEFC is a mutual recognition scheme against international criteria for sustainable forestry
What makes the difference?
- PEFC has a dedicated focus on an organisation's supply chain same as FSC
- the difference goes back to their origins
- Today most of FSC® forests are in Europe/North America)
- PEFC forest management is now global
Recognised mark gives access to new customer groups
Companies such as sawmills, wood dealers, furniture manufacturers, paper manufacturers, publishing houses and printers can have themselves certified. Following successful inspection and certification, they can prove fulfilment of the stipulations of a globally-recognised standard and can use the FSC® mark as a powerful marketing tool – opening up new customer groups whose purchases are based on environmental awareness, and achieving greater acceptance amongst consumers who demand proof of the origins of the purchased product.
The route to the certificate
- First contact us! Our FSC® specialists are waiting to speak to you.
- We can advise on your specific situation.
- Preliminary audit (optional) and review of the submitted FSC® documentation.
- On-site audit, focusing on the control system, confirmation of the goods receipt/deliveries from vendors, separation and segregation of certified and non-certified products, product labelling, output quantities and output products, company processes, documentation, system efficiency
Following a successful audit and an audit report, TÜV NORD CERT issues the certificate for the part of the product chain that has been inspected. The certificate is valid for five years; there are annual monitoring audits.
With its comprehensive know-how, TÜV NORD CERT covers many different areas of certification. If you need certification according to several systems, this means that synergies can give rise to considerable cost savings. With a comprehensive global network of experienced FSC-auditors TÜV NORD CERT guarantees optimum fulfilment of your requirements at your chosen location. TÜV NORD CERT offers world wide FSC® COC certification.