The EU Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC (PED) sets out the standards for the design and fabrication of pressure equipment having a maximum working pressure of more than 0.5 bar gauge. Under the EU Directive the following are considered as pressure equipment: pressure vessels, steam boilers, piping, accessories and assemblies. The PED came into force across the EU from 30th May 2002.
The Directive is addressed to the manufacturers and/or their authorized representatives. Under the Directive, pressure equipment and assemblies above specified pressure and/or volume thresholds must:
- be safe,
- meet essential safety requirements including design, manufacture and testing,
- satisfy appropriate conformity assessment procedures and
- carry CE marking and other information.
TÜV CYPRUS in collaboration with TÜV HELLAS performs conformity assessments and certification of pressure equipment such as pressure vessels, LPG vessels and steam boilers, through a combination of the following:
- Design/Type examination,
- Inspection of production,
- Quality System certification.