NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
The NEBOSH National General Certificate provides essential background knowledge for those with Health & Safety responsibilities within organisations of all types. Many people take the Certificate as a first step in a career in health and safety. It provides a valuable overview, and is a sound basis for further professional study.
The NEBOSH National General Certificate meets the academic requirements for Technician membership (TechIOSH) of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and Associate membership (AIIRSM) of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
This course covers all major HSE issues and provides delegates with the right level of knowledge and practical experience needed to manage risks effectively.
Who should attend?
- Individuals responsible for teams or groups of employees who require a broad understanding of Health and Safety issues within any type of organisation.
On completion of the course candidates should be able to:
- Understand the scope, nature, key reasons and legal framework
- Identify the key components of an H&S Policy and Management System, key roles and responsibilities.
- Understand the concept of H&S culture and its indicators<
- Identify common workplace hazards in familiar and unfamiliar situations.
- Understand risk assessment principles and practice
- Appreciate the principles of risk control and safe systems of work
- Monitor review and audit H&S performance
- Investigate and report on accidents and incidents
- Carry out workplace inspections and prepare effective reports
- Effectively control workplace hazards in familiar and unfamiliar situations, including:
- Interaction of vehicles / plant with people
- Work equipment, tools, machinery
- Manual and mechanical handling
- Fire and electrical hazards
- Chemical and biological issues
- Physical and psychological health hazards
- Construction work
This course covers 3 units:
- NGC1: Management of health & safety
- GC2: Controlling Workplace Hazards
- GC3: Health & safety practical application
Assessment and Certification
Candidates who attend and successfully complete the course will be awarded a certificate from the National Examination Board of Occupational Safety & Health (NEBOSH). Candidates must pass 2 hour written exams for both NGC1 and GC2, and carry out a live workplace health and safety inspection and compile a report to management for GC3