General Health and Safety Training
The Moving and Handling of Objects
Lifting and carrying is one of the main cause for injuries at work, resulting in pain, suffering, loss of earnings, downtime, litigation and compensation costs. This course provides essential background knowledge and practical instruction for those required to move and handle objects in the workplace.
To ensure delegates have an awareness of both the theory and practice of safe manual handling, and to encourage them to improve practices within their workplaces.
Who should attend?
- Individuals required to move and handle objects as part of their work.
- Managers and supervisors of those with manual handling duties.
On completion of the course candidates should have awareness of:
- Definition and significance of manual handling
- Law related to manual handling, employees and employers responsibilities
- Anatomy of the spine
- Good posture, body mechanics and causes of back pain
- Manual handling risk assessment
- Principles of safe lifting and reducing the risk
- Unsafe manual handling practices
- Practical instruction for lifting and carrying
- Team handling
This course encourages interaction with candidates and participation and covers not just theory and practical sessions but also questions and discussion on manual handling in their own workplace and problem solving.
Assessment and Certification
Candidates who attend and successfully complete the course will be awarded a certificate of attendance.