Quality Management for Automotive Industry
This technical specification IATF 16949, in conjunction with ISO 9001, specifies the quality system requirements for the design, development, production, installation and servicing of automotive related products.
This technical specification is applied along with the customer specific requirements. Automobile component manufacturers have to comply with this standard to be able to supply to the automotive OEMs and supply chain.
Based on ISO 9001, the IATF 16949 is being adopted by many major automobile companies in the supply chain. The certification is widely sought by automotive product manufacturers because automobile giants like BMW, Volkswagen, Fiat, Ford, GM, and Japanese auto majors recognize it.
Several factors make registration to IATF 16949 attractive. Major automotive companies in the world recognize this standard. Its success has led to a move towards the development of globally accepted quality management system. Adoption of this standard ensures reduction in errors and continuous development of quality standards in the organisation.
The benefits of adopting this standard are numerous including increased efficiency and improved quality. Some of the benefits are outlined here:
- Improves product and process quality
- Common quality system approach in the supply chain for development and consistency, ensuring that the organisation works more effectively
- Emphasis on defect prevention
- Reduction of variation and increase in efficiency
- Reduction in multiple third party registrations freeing up time and supplier resources for other quality activities and improvement opportunities that can enhance business