Risk based inspection (RBI) is the use of risk assessment to plan and execute inspection programs. Proper risk evaluation with the right inspection techniques and focused inspection intervals can reduce the overall risk at a plant or a facility. Risk based inspection increases the plant availability and reliability without compromising important factors like safety, health and environment. Risk based inspection aims to develop an inspection and maintenance program that guarantees mechanical integrity and reliability.
A comprehensive inspection plan will be developed after the components are evaluated and prioritized. The process will take into consideration the sensitivity of components with respect to damage mechanisms and the economic, safety and health and environmental aspects.
Benefits of adoption
- Increased safety and equipment reliability
- Fewer planned shutdowns / Fewer unplanned shutdowns
- Longer inspection intervals
- Potential fewer inspection and maintenance costs
- Evaluation of effectiveness of inspection activities
- Increased consistency of inspection planning
- Identification of potential damage mechanisms
- Prioritization of inspection
- Identification of key process parameters affecting degradation rates
- Assessment of proposed process changes that could impact degradation rates
- Documentation of current plant configuration and materials of construction
- Updated P&ID's
- Improved team working and communication between all departments
Our know-how for your success
TÜV NORD is a well-established and reliable partner for inspection and certification services. Our experts and auditors have extensive knowledge based on experience and are generally permanently employed by TÜV NORD. This guarantees independence and neutrality, and also means we can offer continuity in supporting our clients. The benefit to you is clear: our experts accompany and support the development of your products and provide you with objective feedback.